You Eated My Cookie
I don't know a lot about computers and technology. In my day you had to use a phone to connect to your computer which took up half a room because they were so big. I never really had use for them until a friend gave me his old computer. Then, I was hooked. When I walked into our local Internet service center, my first question was, "Does this come with Google or do I have to pay to get that?" My daughter got sick of me asking questions so I learned as I went along. I know YouTube was a big deal for me. It was magical. Lolcats and Myspace- wow! Then came Topix and Blogger. The only game I ever played was the rice game which is so fun and helps by donating rice to developing communities. I also found computer generated art apps, which I still use, as you can see. There are things I refuse to use such as the QR code. I'm sure eventually I will need to use it but I'm trying to limit my use on the Internet, not add to it. The thing is, I try. I try to learn new things. I feed the brain. The other day I got a message from my offspring who wrote she had to help her father order a part, online, for his dryer. I responded, "He doesn't know how to buy something online!?"
She texted back, "He's just started learning how to text. ð "
ððģð
I'm not sure how you can avoid using the Internet these days but apparently he has found the way- until now. And considering how much time most of us spend scrolling, maybe he made the right decision. There are quite a few things where the Internet is quite useful. Banking for one. I just recently threw away a stack of checkbooks which had been sitting in a box, unused, for seven years. They still had the original bank name even after they were taken over by a bigger bank. Grocery shopping and ordering parts for dryers are a few other good reasons to enter the 21st century. Honestly, I don't think I could ever give this new fangled invention up.
Like they say, "You are what you eat." That could be used as well when feeding our brains. But, how much of this stuff is really good for us? Do I really need to watch a woman from China clean her kitchen cupboards? Do I need to know our politicians are horrible people? They always were terrible but I was mostly ignorant of that and all the gory details. Now we know everything, things I'm shocked to know people actually do. I truly didn't know how naively innocent I was until I got on the WWW. I've been around a few blocks but they must have been around Sesame Street. I also stick to a few blocks when I'm on the Internet. I don't go looking because it's scary as hell.
So, I sent another text to my daughter. "Maybe it's a good thing your father isn't computer savvy."
Then she sent ð and I sent ðĪĢðĪĢ and she sent ðĪŠ and I sent...

Comments