Marge Gunderson Would Never Allow This

 


I use Google as my search engine. I've tried other apps like Bing and Opera but I feel tied to Google because it's got all my passwords and viral information, so it's like being held hostage. And, I don't like changes of any kind. I'm still at the same bank I've had for years, although I'd have to drive 90 minutes if I ever needed to do a walk-in. 

Yeah, I don't like change.

And yet... lately I'm quite annoyed with Google's AI getting in my face. I ask a lot of questions on the Internet and although I doubt I'd go to prison for using AI's feedback regarding my questions as valid research, I like to be as accurate as possible. It's not only AI in my face like an unwanted little sibling, the real information seems to be getting harder to find. I wrote a post about a book I liked and sure enough AI gave me a completely made up version of the book. It's bullshit and annoying, which makes me wonder how any person in any official office has the balls to use it. We have a lawyer in town who has been suspended for constantly using AI in his depositions. The judge was on to that shit and put a stop to it. These are professionals who went to school to supposedly learn how to follow the rules. And what happened to legal aides? Are they now being replaced with AI? 

This story I found yesterday absolutely makes me ill. A woman has filed a $10 million dollar lawsuit against the sheriff's department in Fargo, ND for false arrest and imprisonment. She was charged with robbing a bank- this old lady grandma who lives in Tennessee and had never been on a plane until she was extradited to Fargo and put inside a cell for six months. Six months! And the reason is because AI used her image as the perp in question. The cops arrested her at gunpoint, in her home, while she was watching her neighbor's children. 

Eventually someone heard her pleas that they had the wrong person and she was released on Christmas Eve night, alone, cold, scared and a bit pissed. She later learned she looks nothing like the person who robbed the bank, something the sheriff's department could have figured out in minutes. 

So this is when AI becomes scary and we definitely need to slow down where we are going with it. We need years of study by unbiased researchers who will go farther than the AI blip...

"Yes, Professor Smith, we are perfectly harmless. We love you and you will be safe in our virtual hands. 😉😉."

No, we shouldn't throw away the baby bot with the bathwater. AI can be useful, but right now it's being used by lazy ass people who choose not to think or seek the truth. I think this woman should sue for $50 million. They absolutely ruined her life (if this story is true. I'm counting on you, Guardian)

Teachers, lawyers, police departments, the orange man.... have some balls and do your job. 

Comments

ex-ferrer said…
Yes, that was horrible, lazy police *work*. Seemed to me it could be cleared up with a courtesy call from ND cops to Tn. to have them look her up and talk to her. One visit to her home would have saved everyone a lot of trouble, cops included.

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Books Of All Time?

She's Still Dead

Benny, Benny And No Regrets