Here Comes The Riff Raff
I've never been to Las Vegas because it's just not something I'm interested in and I read, 'The Stand,' when I was young which informed us that is where the bad people will convene when our country chooses sides for the final showdown, so I'm not too keen on this ongoing attempt to place a casino in out town. This fight from the Menominee tribe to build a Hard Rock Cafe and Casino has been going on for years and years. Our former Governor, Scott Walker, nixed the idea so now they are seeking approval from Tony Evers. Supposedly Las Vegas has made their town kid friendly. I can only imagine what these children see. I have no idea if the mob still runs the Vegas or anything these days, but whoever does isn't the kind I'd want to entertain in my home or meet on Main Street. It's a creepy business all the way around. The premise is to have as many people as possible spend money, loads and loads of money. It doesn't matter if it's their last dollar.
I've told this story before on my former blog about a couple my ex and I knew. He had known the woman for a long time so I just sort of always felt like an intrusion when they got together which thankfully wasn't often. They were loud and boisterous and gave me bad vibes. We had heard they had been in a car accident several years ago and had just received a huge settlement. They bought a house and invested in shady businesses. The most interesting story we heard from the wife is about the time hubby disappeared for a week. He eventually reappeared, sheepish and contrite. He had lost thousands of dollars in Vegas, although he claims he remembers nothing. They were back to being poor within a few years. I lost touch with them after I lost touch with the ex.
So, I've never been to Vegas, though, unfortunately, spent a few days in Atlantic City when we visited my sister. That was also the same visit where she told us about Mothman, and how she would sit in a rocker by her entrance door with a shotgun across her knees because he was out there, but that's for another day. We headed into a run down casino, it even could have been Trump's, I just know it was on its last days. I played the slot machine and since I am aware I have an addictive personality I only played the money I had in my hand. To me the whole experience was icky. Row after row of desperate humans trying to win it big as they sucked in and exhaled cigarette smoke and nursed a weak bourbon. Even with all the bells, lights and whistles it had me feeling depressed.
So I expect if this casino is finally built it will dramatically change this town. I also suspect I'll probably check it out as well. Then I'll go home and cry.

Comments