Bluesky Is Dying. Change My Mind
Before I wrote yesterday's rant, I started a post - actually, I finished a post about Bluesky and where it might be headed. I deleted it because sometimes the truth hurts. I feel Bluesky's days are numbered. The influencers with the million followers on X have been disappointed when they post on the alternative. I think it's largely due to the sycophantic feel. Every comment is just an approval of the original post multiplied by 1,000. It gets boring after awhile and for the influencer maybe a bit annoying. It's an ick. Most of the people on Bluesky are here because we want change, we want everyone to be happy - and right now we are just sitting on our hands because there's nothing to be done. Besides the political side, there is art and music and movies to discuss. All lovely and safe formats for the most part.
Then, there are the pets - loads and loads of dead or dying pets.
I try to engage with posters, sometimes I go too far to just get a reaction - anything, but for the most part no one cares to listen, we're here to post our very own opinion which is the only one that matters. I rarely see the same people and my tiny following is really just an illusion.
I understand why people choose to use X. It's exciting. There's lots of engagement and interesting people on it, even if they happen to be assholes, at least there's a back and forth which allows us to consider many ideas and might even change a few minds.
Honestly, the only reason I use Bluesky is to post my blog. It's my outlet to write. I'm grateful when people read it but I will write it even without an audience, so my need for Bluesky is negligible.
It's a bit sad but it's how we humans are. We need discourse and challenges. Most love to debate and engage in excitement interaction. Bluesky has very little of that. The website itself is poorly run with constant issues. It has peaked and is now dying. That's my gut feeling anyway.
I'll stick around to see if there is a changing of the guards in November. There won't be much to discuss on Bluesky but I can imagine X will really be hopping.
It was an interesting experiment which doesn't work for me. It's a sad place and I no longer enjoy being on it. I'm not sure where I will go for interesting discussions, certainly not X, so maybe nowhere. I can live with that.


Comments