Bear With Me

 


Well, this is a dilemma for me- choosing the man or the bear. I am terrified of bears and am pretty sure death by bear will be my fate. I'm not sure how many bears we have in the area- the number should be, zero, but tell that to a bear. In a TIK TOK survey asking eight women which species they would choose if they were hiking in the woods and were confronted by bear or human male, seven preferred the bear. Men scoffed and left ugly comments. Sometimes, y'all just be you and we'd rather take our chances with the bear. It's news like we had yesterday about the reopening of an investigation into the alleged rape of a female student that got me thinking about our choices, which are minimal. We are still blamed, as though we just should have known what we were getting into. 

"Damn, girl, you go to a party and drink!? Whaddya expect? 

The excuses and finger pointing is beginning. The school claims they shared all their evidence with the police, including the texts between the victim and one of the males who apologizes to her and says he should have stopped it. At least fifty males knew what was happening in that house and not one tried to stop it. The school did damage control, protecting the males. The DA passed on bringing any charges. 

Can you really blame us for going with the bear after we read story after story of the male species behaving worse than an animal? Yes, worse, because a bear isn't thinking about, well, anything. It lives by instinct. It doesn't think about whether this would ruin his career, reputation or that there might be consequences to its actions. It's clear from the few texts I read these men knew what they were doing was wrong. Unlike a bear, they had the ability to think things through- yet, they chose to be worse than an animal. 

Anyway, I've done my share of hiking, alone, in the woods. Fortunately, I've only encountered angry birds and I'm pretty sure a bobcat once crossed my path. I've never met a bear or a lone male hiker. I find it heartbreaking that the question, man vs. bear has ever been brought up. You have the capability of loving us, respecting us and even protecting us. 

Why would you choose to hurt us?

Update: Yep, choose the bear. 

Comments

ex-ferrer said…
So many dropped the ball that day, and yeah, they were all male. I just can't imagine that some couldn't even step up whilst behind the safety of their keyboards. It's really grotesque and disgusting.

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Books Of All Time?

She's Still Dead

I Don't Want To Harp On It