Maggie On The Block

 


Even though it was muggy af yesterday I decided to walk downtown to peruse the Halloween section at the antique store. It's never too early for Halloween, so I was excited and it being a Tuesday I was eighty percent sure they'd be open. I was wrong. Instead of the normal sign which used to state the hours open it now has something along the lines of, "I'll open when I feel like it." So, not quite losing all hope yet, I moved on to another business. This too was closed, as was ninety percent of the small businesses on Main Street. I repeat, it was a Tuesday afternoon. The only establishments open was a store which sells baby stuff, which I'm betting won't last another month, the music store and the book store, none of which were Halloween focused. It really did bother me as I passed every business that was dark and locked. I wasn't the only person who was disappointed as several people stood by the door of the antique store hoping a miracle would occur. How do these people stay in business, I wondered? Many don't, but there are a few who have managed to continue on and I'm guessing it's because they sell online. We are constantly reminded to shop locally and I want to do my part but I seriously cannot afford to buy a book that costs on average $40. Even a plastic tote bag cost $25. I did go into the popcorn store and bought a tiny bag of colorful popcorn for $5 and one of those plastic wax moustaches you chew on for two minutes then spit out. It cost $2.50 and I realized it was broken when I got home, so I wasn't feeling very good about my trip. It is sad to see Main Street so devoid of people, fun or unique shops. Now it's just an ugly, empty nothing. When I first moved here, Main Street was interesting with its still original brick road. The street had history and it looked cool. There were two hippie stores and the famous oddity/prom/wedding extravaganza where you could check out Spike O'Dell's coffee cups* or gaze at photographs of celebrities. The businesses changed often, most not lasting a year, but at least they made an attempt. Now, the sellers don't even bother to show up anymore. 

I'd love to support local businesses. Ya gotta be open, though. I confess when I got home I ordered online from a big box store as I tossed out my wax moustache. It will be awhile before I head back downtown. It's depressing to walk around the block. Hopefully, better days. Always hope.

*The cups didn't stay long and apparently have a home in Door County, in case you're interested. 

Comments

Berthold Gambrel said…
By most of the metrics economists use, the economy is doing mediocre, and was actually doing okay before a certain orange moron decided to start a pointless war.

But here's the thing: I don't care what the GDP or Consumer Price Index or whatever else say. When you actually walk around like you did, things look grim. It feels like there's a depression when you look around what used to be thriving marketplaces. Every time I walk around the block, I'm left with the feeling that something is very, very wrong.

On a more positive note: you're right that it is never too early for Halloween. I can't wait! :)
Maggie said…
🧛🧟🧌 I'm ready for Autumn.

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Books Of All Time?

She's Still Dead

Benny, Benny And No Regrets