Communion, And Not The UFO Book
Back in my younger days, I read books to the end, even when they were pretty awful. I don't do that anymore. I will read a few chapters and if it's not bringing me in, I don't waste time anymore. Many people consider our flag sacred. I feel the same about books. I threw away one book in my life and that was, 'Hillbilly Elegy,' by JD Vance. I don't know if he had a ghostwriter, but the book was actually well written and it held my interest - until the very end. I can't even recall the moment that made me toss the book away. I think I felt duped. Throughout the book he talks about growing up poor and living with his dysfunctional family. I related to that. But if I remember correctly it was at the end where he seemed to blame the people he grew up with for their place in life. If he could break away, surely these lazy people could do better as well. That was his message and still seems to be his message so it's no wonder the people of his hometown haven't read his latest book and don't want to talk about it.
I know very little about Middletown, Ohio. I know a little bit about Ohio because I have family who live there. It's Trump territory. I still suspect my one sister of voting for Trump, the other probably didn't vote at all. I definitely do not feel good vibes when I enter Ohio, especially when driving through we were constantly reminded how much the woke are hated and Trump was a god to them. Ohio, like Wisconsin is cows, farms and what they call, "good people," church going, hard working, true Americans. I had my companion pull over one day when I saw a giant plywood sign written in a red painted scrawl by the farmer of the dell. It was a raging racist rant where people of color (not the words written) were not welcome in Ohio. My sister even told me this crazy story about a factory in her town that blew a five pm whistle - for the one purpose to tell those non white folks to head out of town real quick. She actually believed this story and I had to Google for more information. Naturally, it was the same nutjob claiming this as a fact. I realize not every Ohioan is a racist magat. Unfortunately, I was only surrounded by the pitchfork type.
To Vance's credit I will agree, education is key. That's how he got out, although word on the street is he hates everything about higher education which is filled with elitist, woke, DEI hires. Education used to be a way out of poverty. I'm not sure it applies anymore. Not here, in this country where one year of education will cost you $40,000 and you will be indebted for decades. Book reading is the door to enlightenment. I don't know how much the Trump loving Ohioans read besides the Bible.
The Guardian has an article where a reporter went about asking the people of JD's hometown if they had read his latest book. They didn't and don't plan to and I would like to know why, but they don't want to talk about it, or him. Sad when your own people don't have your back- so I'm guessing word got around about how the chubby boy who liked couches felt about his neighbors.
2028 will certainly be interesting. Even the orange man refuses to endorse his VP.
One thing I do have in common with the Ohio magats is that I won't be reading Vance's latest book either, but if I ever need some kindling for a fire...

Comments