Good Morning, Moon
I don't like when my mind tricks me, like it wants to have a little fun at my expense. I'm guessing you've all heard of Winter hibernation where bears have settled in for the cold winter months. Humans hibernate as well. This year I've been sleeping through the summer, most likely due to the extreme heat and social malaise. I wake up around 6 am, have coffee, wash dishes, eat breakfast, do a little online scrolling then head back to bed. This is probably not a healthy idea. I wake after a few hours, exercise, shower, scroll, eat lunch, then nap again. Then I'm usually up until 3am, my finest hours. It's quiet, so quiet I can hear my refrigerator hum three rooms away. I like it. I don't think it's normal. I don't do drugs so I'm not going to start, although for awhile I was taking Vicks night time cold relief to sleep. That stuff is amazing. And that's why I stopped, hoping my body would adjust and work it's way through whatever was happening. I usually listen to my body as it warns me that something weird is happening. I know when I'm coming down with a very bad cold or flu because a few days before it hits I hear a whistle - a whistle that is coming out of my mouth right before I fall asleep.
Yesterday, I woke up and looked at my phone to check the time. Oh, 6 am, wow, I actually slept through a night. How amazing. I stuck a breakfast burrito in the oven and turned on Tubi to watch another group of friends die in the woods. But then I noticed it was getting dark. Hurray, we need some rain! But, it just got darker and no rain came. This is when I panicked because I was confused and didn't know how to check if it was am or pm. I guess I could have asked the Google bot, but I finally understand I was still in Sunday and not in Monday.
I don't like when the brain cells sputter out. I once was visiting my sister who had a picture of herself and family and their names arranged as a New York Times puzzle. I kept looking at a name that didn't look familiar - Christopher, Christopher, who the hell is Christopher, so I opened my mouth and asked. My sister looked at her husband and calmly responded, "Our son, Chris." Omg. Nothing more was said but I can only imagine it was discussed later. That was a hell of a brain freeze. It scared me.
Last night scared me. Remember when we were teenagers and slept through the weekend then woke up discombobulated and with that creepy feeling? Yeah, I don't even get that anymore. Now I just wake up thinking it's a brand new day- as the sky darkens.
Getting old sucks. I don't think I have to worry about dementia. All my family was as sharp as tacks as their bodies rotted away. I think the only solution is to wait it out until the weather begins to cool off, and possibly start taking control of who's boss, which means sticking to a schedule, one where I lie down at 11 pm, eyes wide open for four more hours, get up at 7am, no naps, no sleeps, no resting of eyes and see what happens.
I can already feel it failing. I'm getting sleepy writing this. I wouldn't mind sleeping to November but that's not viable or even sane.
Wish me luck. Good morning, moon.

Comments