Because Someone Is Watching
Peer pressure is real. We do things we normally wouldn't do when we're with a crowd and one lunkhead comes up with an idea as individuals we'd laugh at or dismiss. When you're a kid, you want to fit in, or at least not be a target for others. One true guide to prove we have become an adult is to step up and say no to the mob mentality.
As the Argentinian soccer team turned their backs on Spain as it celebrated its win, one player watched them lift their deserved award. Jose Manuel Lopez refused to give in to such an ugly response. I can only imagine what he is dealing with today because he chose to be an adult. Millions of young people watched the games. Many have a favorite player and look up to them. I confess that I did not watch one second of any the games and only saw blurbs about the action. One favorite player is Lionel Messi, the Argentinian captain who also had his back turned, but allegedly congratulated Spain for the win later. Since I know nothing about the sport I had to check to see if turning one's back at an award ceremony is the norm. It is not. It is normal and acceptable to be upset, heartbroken and wishing to be elsewhere. It's not acceptable to be a sore loser who acts like a five year old in front of millions of fans. Numbers and stats are part of the game. Most viewers won't remember them. They will remember the players who stood out not only for being great players, but for being decent human beings. Only one player faced the winning team. Out of all that transpired during these games, I hope children who were watching will remember that moment. That is what sportsmanship is- that is what defines you as an adult.
Jose Manuel Lopez - I salute you.

Comments