"I Eat Morons Like You For Breakfast!"
Sometimes being poor your whole life has some advantages. People in this country who have never had to suffer are now feeling the pinch. I don't mind that I can't buy a Starbucks latte white macchiato Ricky Ricardo because I've never stood in line for a high priced cup of elite. I don't go to salons, get manicures or pedicures. Yesterday, I wore a shirt that is twenty six years old. The end of the month is where I get creative with food. I actually created a spaghetti sauce I now use all the time over that store bought slop. This regime hasn't made it easy for anyone. I think of single or divorced mothers who need to feed her children whether child support arrives or not because I've been there. I'm not writing this for sympathy. I want you all to know the reality out there. So I don't get too chocked up when ya can't buy steak this week, or, you have to put back a bottle of wine or case of beer. You haven't hit bottom until you're contemplating scraping dry pasta out of the cupboard or telling your child there's no dinner tonight.
I'm always a bit puzzled when I see people cry over the cost of gas, yet football stadiums are filled. Concerts are sold out in minutes. Planes are filled with drunken travelers who just spent $8,000 at Disney world. So my perception of poor is a whole lot different than most. I've mentioned before that I once took a box of display noodles from a model apartment when there was nothing to eat at home. Yes, I was working and no, I didn't eat the noodles because they were infested with bugs. But damn, I thought about it for a long time before I threw them out.
I'm not complaining and I certainly don't envy your good fortune. I just want you to see how it really is out there. I'm glad people can plan a vacation to warmer climes in the winter, or buy a $50 book or a $10 beer. It's nice to know that is a possibility.
I just know there are children out there who shared a can of corn for dinner last night. There are people who give plasma so they can put gas in their car to go to work. There are people who work forty hours a week and still have to go to a food bank and find empty shelves.
The other day I watched one of the most articulate discourses regarding life in this country. I ask that you watch* because this is so spot on about how people with good fortune perceive the have nots. If you blame someone in this country for having to use food banks or WIC or SNAP, I don't want to know you.
*Oh, snap. The link isn't working and it could be because it's on Tik Tok, I dunno. Check out Tevin M Davis as he shares why Judge Judy is a terrible, rotten human being who has learned nothing from all the years she has seen people stand before her who need help.
**Quote by Judge Judy.

Comments