Bagels And Breadsticks


 I played tennis once. My sister wanted me to play against her because she wanted to try out for the high school tennis team. My sister was brave- maybe a little naive as well. Our high school was named one of the best in the state. Of course it was. It was parked in the middle of an affluent area where Brad's and Muffy's resided. Ferris Buehler anyone? Yeah, that affluent. Unfortunately, sister was fighting a losing battle. We came from the other side of the tracks where there was no such thing as extra money for lessons of any kind. I think on the one day I practiced with her we had borrowed badminton rackets. I didn't like running back and forth and I gave up on her. She never had a chance. Some of the girls she made friends with had tennis courts in their back yards, right next to the swimming pools. She never stopped trying to fit in and actually became a pom pom girl. I gave up before I even started. Sometimes Mom would drive me to school (because I tried to ditch) in the blue bomber. The paint was falling off the car amongst other parts apparently not needed because it kept on going. I ducked down into my seat so no one would know it was me. It didn't matter because I still had to walk into the school with my holey sneakers amongst long haired, smartly dressed girls and boys. They were the haves. I was a have not.

Which leads me to this story I believe was in, 'The Guardian.' It mentioned the US Open and how incredibly expensive it was to attend, but that didn't seem to be a big issue. In fact, people were being turned away because seats were being snatched up.

Along with the article, there was a picture of a few young ladies sitting in their costly seats, all looking down towards their phones. It triggered so many memories I nearly vomited a bit. We didn't have cell phones back in my school years so the affluent looked down on us, on me and my dirty sneakers. 

At this year's Open, chicken nuggets will set you back $100 because they are sprinkled with caviar. The nuggets might be $45 without the fancy topping. I'm betting there's gold flake and truffles as well. Why that's no problem for the attendees. People worried about food prices!? Pffft.

I am not like those who rail against the rich.  (Except here, right now) I think it's nice some people are able to enjoy such lovely things in life. I myself never cared for the big house, or the fancy car. Hey, more power to you if you can have nice things. Anyone can go for the gold flake in this country, so I've been told. 

And yet... I can't help feeling like I'm back in that prestigious high school, walking down a hallway and getting looks that tell me, "You don't belong here." 

I can only assume it's fun to watch two excellent athletes hitting balls back and forth on a court. My five minute session was rough, so I admire anyone who has the stamina to lob and weave. Hey, and some people actually go because they like the game! All I see are four young ladies, bored to tears, eating $40 grapes sprinkled with the sweat of Novak Djokovic.

Anyway, enjoy your $50 lobster roll. I'll be watching Gilligan's Island while sucking on a chili dog. 

Oh yeah, life goes on ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Books Of All Time?

She's Still Dead

Benny, Benny And No Regrets