Another Tom Turkey
I watched one of the Spiderman movies the other day which starred Tom Holland and Zendaya. On the positive side I'm gonna say I could see the spark between them. Cute couple. On the negative - that was one fucking boring movie. I tried twice to get into it but it was so boring and I'm sorry, did they hire Holland because they needed the most milquetoast dude to contrast with the hero message? I'm assuming this series was made for 20 year olds who still have expendable money.
Anyway, I was wondering about Tom's political leanings and yes, I do this a lot to see if my favorite movie stars are on the right (left) side. That's important to me, but unlike Mark Ruffalo who takes a stand regarding controversial issues which shouldn't be controversial because they're about saving human lives, Tom keeps his private life locked. Except for the fact we know he has a cute gf/wife, we don't know much about him.
Which brings up the question... do people in the public spotlight have the right to privacy? For as long as I can remember being an actor has some extra job duties. It all probably started before talking movies as Hollywood agents sold their wares, the movie star. Back then you could make stuff up, such as Tab Hunter going out with a bevy of female beauties. Tab was gay, as were 90% of the leading males back then. Lesbians weren't invented yet. I really don't care about a public figure's life, except for party affiliation and even then I'll watch a movie that has a genuine racist, homophobic thug in it (👋 Mel Gibson) if the movie is great. Why anyone's private life should be a factor regarding their acting is a conundrum. Same with authors. The best writers are usually horrible human beings IRL. Do I throw away the book? Nope.
Anyway, Tom wants to remain private. Honestly, he should be grateful he receives any notice because if he wasn't married to an adorable woman and somehow is a star in a Hollywood movie, no one would notice Tom, which begs the question, why get in a business you know damn well is going to lead to nosy bodies and fans hounding you? It just comes with the territory and frankly, I think most actors can stay out of the spotlight, except they keep calling rags like the Daily Rag to let them know they'll be standing at Hollywood and Vine at 4pm, Tuesday. (👋 Jennifer Lopez)
We saw what happened to Ed Sheeran when ya have no say regarding taking a stand because ya just want to make music and money. Mark Ruffalo might lose movie roles because he considers the human condition far more important than remaining incognito. You don't have to go out there everyday fighting for the man, but don't expect a private life when you work in a business where your face and skrawny body is everywhere.
One Spiderman movie was enough for me anyway. You're a lucky man, Tom, and I'm not sure you realize it.

Comments