Ramping Up Survivor

 


I just saw a blip on the WWW where a Survivor contestant lost part of his leg in a boating incident whilst filming the series. He's now suing the show, which seems reasonable, although I'm sure everyone who participates in the faux games signs some sort of agreement stating things could happen and the show isn't responsible. I've watched the show a few times but never quite understood what was going on. There can be only one winner so why y'all collaborating with each other? I liked the game part of it, though. I'm not sure how the leg loser lost his leg but I assume it wasn't part of the activities. 

There is another series I think called, 'Alone,' where a bunch of people are dropped off in a remote region, usually in the Alaskan wilderness. They are given a choice of a few things to take before the festivities begin, but I don't think they get food or water. Then they compete to see who can stay out there the longest. Most of these people are prepper types. They hunt, fish, play the Apocalypse games at home, so they think they are prepared - until they realize they aren't truly alone. Bears are the biggest threat. One man held out for six hours before hitting a button that brought help and ended his stay. I would love to do this, although I have no survivalist skills and am terrified of bears. Again I'm sure these people must sign a waiver.

'We claim no responsibility if you are eaten by a bear.'

I'm a little skeptical that these people are really all alone. You can't be killing off people and expect the show to go on. Despite these dystopian movies where people enter a death race to win big bucks or die, there never seems to be a lack of people who believe they can run twelve miles, dodging bullets, knives, bears and other contestants even if they are 70 years old and have asthma. 

I'm fairly certain the legless man will get a big settlement. The show doesn't want that kind of publicity. Frankly, it's surprising it took this long for something really bad to happen, although we don't hear what really goes on behind the bamboo shelters. 

It's all fun and games until you lose a leg. Just keep that in mind if you're thinking about entering a survivalist show. The truth is, we are in one already. Will we make it through?

Find out next season....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Books Of All Time?

She's Still Dead

Benny, Benny And No Regrets