Hippy Dippy Old People


 I have to be honest, I am an ageist. I'm also one who is amongst this group of old geezers. One good example of old people problems is that I nearly forgot what I was going to write about. But, I remember! 

When we see in the news about someone we all know who has died, like Dolly, we seem shocked and mourn the loss. Back in my day, 80 was considered ancient and some people were not blessed with Dolly's genes (although the cancer was a bummer) but she was 80! Sometimes I have to laugh when I see comments from people who are distraught when a celebrity dies- one who was 80, 90, 100... 

This is what happens, people! Last night as I tried to sleep (an effect of old age, or coffee at ten pm) I tried to count how many celebrities are living into their 90s. Eva Marie Saint - she's 102! William Shatner, Clint Eastwood, Carol Burnett, Dick Van Dyke (100) Rita Moreno... the list is quite remarkable. I don't think any of these people lived a life of an extremely regime healthy, in fact, a few smoked and drank heavily, but as George Takai (89) would say, "And yet, here we are."

I honestly think it's awesome to live so long.

However ....

Most of these people are still mentally and physically able to move about with little assistance. Then we have a person like Mitch, who needs people to move him, diaper him, feed him and speak for him- most likely to think for him. We have people in assisted living facilities who sit and stare at a wall all day. It's been awhile since I've been in one, but a few years back I wanted to make a few extra dollars so I began working in the kitchen of an assisted living home. It's a horrible, horrible place to be. Residents were drugged to keep them from being a nuisance. I only realized they were drugging one woman when they must have forgotten to give her the meds to keep her comatose. She looked at me, took my hand and begged me to take her home. She started moving her wheelchair towards the exit. She knew who she was, where she was, and yet, had no choice in her situation. Time after time I saw how the elderly were dismissed and ignored. This is not living. It's waiting for death to arrive. I have no intention of ever entering an assisted living facility. I want a quality of life, not a quantity, so when the day comes, and it will, I will decide my fate- no one else. I think it's cruel and selfish to allow people who are no longer mentally here to linger on. I don't suggest the Soylent Green approach, but people should have choices available. 

I have no idea how much time I have on this Earth. My great aunts all lived into their 90s and were extremely keen of mind. My parents died in their 70s because they did not take care of themselves, so I guess I might be around awhile. 

Now, what did I do with my sewing needle?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Books Of All Time?

She's Still Dead

Benny, Benny And No Regrets