Monday Was Weird

 


I gave up driving awhile back because I was becoming inattentive. I'd be driving home as if in a coma and wonder how I got to the corner on Main Street and Vine without realizing it. I tried texting once while driving and nearly ran into a ditch. I don't know how y'all do it and stop doing that. It's dangerous. Anyway, since I live in a town with bus service I don't miss driving. On the occasion I need a ride, well that's why I bore offspring and Monday was the day I needed her to drive me to a doctor's appointment. The appointment was set for 11 am so we headed out about 10:30. I noticed as I headed out the door that nearly all the tenants were still home. Hey, maybe they all work in the service industry where most businesses are closed on Mondays. So we're driving to the doctor and we both notice traffic is ridiculous. It's fucking 10:30 and no one is working because they're all driving! What in Sam Hill is happening!? Are you all Instacart employees now? Back in the day you never saw the roads crammed with bumper to bumper cars. People went to work and stayed there until 5pm. The only people on the roads were little old ladies heading to Piggly Wiggly and truckers hauling supplies. No one else. 

You must work, right? Do you have a work at home job where you rig the computer to show you're actually working but are really hiding in a Planet Fitness, riding a bike, or on the road heading to Hobby Lobby or McDonald's? I didn't check out who was driving as we crawled through traffic. I couldn't really see anyone because they all have tinted windows. Seven year olds could be driving for all I know. 

After the doc appointment we headed over to the Festival for a few things. Again, packed. It was close to noonish so maybe people were coming in to buy their lunch. I saw the Festival now has a salad bar. No thanks. This time I looked to see who was shopping. There was a lot of old people. I noticed them because they felt they owned the aisle as they blocked other shoppers and seemed to enjoy their mini revolt. Oddly, not a lot of children. It's still Summer vacation but I never see children. They don't ride bikes, play hopscotch or tag. They don't come out.

Well, I finally arrive home where I decide to grab the big old paint bucket and sit outside for a bit. Lots of people walking dogs and a boomer on a skateboard. Then I noticed something odd across the street where there is a park. There was a group of about ten people, all shapes, sizes, colors and ages. They stood in a circle as one woman appeared to be the ringmaster. As she talked to the group she pointed to someone who then moved to a bench under a giant statue of Lady Justice. Two minutes later another person joined the benchwarmer, then another and another, all in two minute increments. I so wanted to walk over and listen in on what was happening, but another woman in the group actually went up to some looky loos who were nearby and apparently asked them to move away from the group because they moved away from the group. I had to leave my bucket for important matters so I never saw them leave. 

All in all, it was a very weird day. I wanna know what the hell you people are up to. 

Or, do I?

I'm going to stay inside now. At least here I can pretend people are working and not filling up the roads or gathering in parks for some weird antics.

Monday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Books Of All Time?

She's Still Dead

Benny, Benny And No Regrets