"I've Got Something For Youuuu"
If you live in Chicago, or as they say, the Chicago suburbs, which in my case was Buffalo Grove, thirty three miles away, you are familiar with Eagle Man, who sells insurance to bimbos and annoying radio men (Mancow) I believe they are still in business although unfortunately (?) I no longer live in a Chicago suburb, thirty three miles away, so I am not entertained or amused by the commercial where a giant eagle lands on a woman's car, then lays an egg with a note inside.
People paid attention. It certainly helped their business, but who actually thought it was a good idea to buy insurance from this company? Insurance is pretty serious business, don't you think? We need it at our darkest times- a house fire, a car accident, flooding and so on. It's a traumatizing experience, so it baffles me when I see these commercials like the actor who portrays Mayhem or Jake from State Farm. It's funny stuff for a very serious situation. It's not only the insurance companies. I've been subjected to a terrible commercial with a young man who apparently has been in some sort of accident and his legs are bent in front of his body. He is told by onlookers to hire Top Dog, a legal agency.
It's clear the marketing department wants you to remember their ads.
This ring a bell... 588-2300....? Can you finish the song?
The Empire Man who sold carpet for $20 a room. It wasn't a silly commercial as it had a man who could lead us to drink the Kool aid because he was so gentle and charismatic. Flo is still selling insurance along with a bunch of helpers who as the years go by seem to get goofier. The intention is for us, the consumer to remember these commercials and buy their product. I myself would never buy from an egg laying giant eagle. I would never choose Top Dog as my choice to use in a court of law.
Insurance is boring. It's mostly paperwork and signing legal contracts. But, I want a boring guy or gal to help me so if my house burns down I know they're going to be there for me. I don't want bells, balloons, or bendy men trying to sell me their wares.
We've had geckos, ducks and pig men try to reel us in. Have we become immune to the absolute weird and ridiculous? Do we really need these ads which dumb us up to make us remember them? Maybe. The Empire song lives rent free in my head forever. "What are you wearing, Jake, from State Farm?" might be my last words. They stick. And yet, I don't have Empire carpet or insurance from State Farm.
Someone does. Lots of someones.

Comments